Monday, December 21, 2009

A long drive, a good ski and a bonne soiree

So here I am. In the snow. Middle of December. In France. In the Alpes.
I still can't quite believe it myself.

Saturday:
Alarm set for 7am. Departure at 9. Lunch at 2. Arrived at 7. Slept a little in the car. Listened to my ipod. Looked out the window. Stopped at France's best Nougat place. Took us 30mins to put on the chains and 5mins to drive up the hill that needed them. Left the chain box behind. Not much else to tell.

Sunday:
First day of skiing! Woke up at 8ish I think...took our time eating breaky. Went to hire skis. Were on the slopes at 11. Weather was beautiful! Though very VERY cold. Sunday morning it was -25 DEGREES! CAN YOU BELIVE IT! I couldn't. I would have bet my life that the lady who told us was joking. BUT LUCKY I DIDN'T CAUSE SHE WAS DEAD SERIOUS! We had a picnic lunch on the top of a mountain. Then we went into a bar to get a hot chocolate to warm ourselves up. After that we continued to ski till 4.30. We did much of the same runs because not many are open, Valmorel is lacking snow in the best parts. But I didn't mind. How can I complain when I'm skiing in the French Alpes? Oh and I saw Mont. Blanc.

Monday:
Another day of skiing. Left the house late again because we slept in. Although no need to rush out early when it's that cold :P There weren't any more runs open today than yesterday, but because we were getting bored, we decided to be rebels and go down the CLOSED RUNS. Was so much fun :D I love cutting through fresh snow and making my own tracks. Took some risks today, hence my 5 falls. We all body parts still intact. (But it is only Monday). Picnic for lunch again, but it wasn't so cold/we had more clothes on. Still got a hot choc all the same :P Practiced pronouncing my Rs in the bar.
Tonight we went to a restaurant with Annick and Jean-Paul, the family's Aunty & Uncle / Sister & Brother in law, who own the apartement we are staying in. But they have two, so they are staying in the other one :P Went to a nice cosy little place. Had a fondue for main meal (bowl of 3 cheeses melted together, then you get potatos and bread to dip into it) and a coupe marmite (a whole lot of yumminess in a bowl - possible meringue, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, ice cream...).
When we had finished the girls and I went outside to take some photos in the snow. Three Belsh boys who had drunk a little too much came to crash the photos. Invited us to a bar. I played my 'Sorry don't speak French' card. The most sober then said 'Oh ok, we speak Dutch but English as well.' Then I had to politely decline and admit we were here with parents. He took it well and stumbled off with a wave. The whole way home we had a snow fight. When we got into the apartement I wasn't sure if I was cold from the snow inside my clothes or hot from all the running and ducking.

That's it for now. Will update soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment