This weekend I spent a day and night chez la famille Bajoit. It was suuu-perrrrr!
So where to begin....?
Saturday afternoon bowling with the girls for Sophie. Sophie is one of the girls at school who has the best of both worlds. She lives in France for the most part of the school year, except in December and January when it's too cold so she goes back to her other home in America and is home schooled there until the weather warms up where she comes back to France to finish the school year. Then she spends summer in the USA and it starts all over again. What a life huh?
So Sophie is leaving on Sunday for America for 3 months, so the girls decided to organise a game at bowling for everyone to hang out with Sophie for the last time. There were 13 of us in total, so we played with 6 and 7. We all sucked. The best of us was Carly who got just over 100 in the end. I came in about 3rd with 80-something. Some girls had 12, 8, 4. Mon Dieu! It was hilarious. They were asking us 'Have you ever bowled before? How do you do it? Like this? [palm facing the lane and smooth under-arm motion] Or like this? [back hand facing the lane and a flick of the wrist motion]' Oh la la! But it was quite fun and after we all went and got an ice cream at "Magdoes" (Maccas).
Afterwards I went home with Carly and Marie for a sleepover :) Fun Fun Fun. I had been to the house before but had never seen past the front entrance. As we pulled into the driveway and stared in awe at the property before me. I had never seen it in daylight. It. Was. Huge. And I couldn't even see all of it cause the house [mansion] was in the way! I got the full tour of the house once we got inside. Each of the 5 kids has their own bedroom. Plus bathroom. There are...5ish living areas. All large rooms. Carly practically has her own apartment downstairs with her bedroom. And they just installed a 'home cinema'. So cool.
So...that night we hung a bit with the kids. Gaultier, the youngest at 5 years old, is ADORABLE! I spend ages playing with him, just wanted to wrap him up and take him home! He did his Micheal Jackson impersonation for me :) Brigette showed us the gigantic jar of Nutella she bought! I had never seen anything like it in my life! It was HUGE! And heavy! And even more surprising...it was totally real and edible! It would have had to have been larger than my head... See for yourself:
We ate dinner (mmmm chicken wings! T'was funny actually, just the day before Mum had asked me what food I miss and I said chicken wings! L'hasard! And then...we spent the night on Skype talking to Carly's parents (Hi Natasha if you're reading this!) who gave us a lovely tour of their home in California :) Also met some of Carly's friends via Skype. Had to demonstrate my 'funny Australian accent' a couple of times :P We stayed up till about 2am and then crashed. That was better than the previous week at my house, which was 5.30am.
The next day we got up, had breakfast, watched Star Wars on the big screen. I had a bit of a snooze, leaning against Carly's knees as I must admit, Star Wars isn't really my cup of tea, especially in French. Then I heard one of the girls whisper 'Regarde Maddy! Elle dort!' and I opened my eyes and said 'Aha! No I'm not!'. That really didn't add much to my story so I'll move on...
So we had lunch. The meat we ate would have to have been to BEST I have tasted DANS MA VIE! And we tried this interesting Belsh vegetable, (Belsh? Is that what we call someone from Belgium?) which was good also. AND THEN! For desert they brought out this huge ceramic bowl full of what looked like custard until they said 'take a spoonful and taste!'. Oh and when I did it was like heaven in a mouthful...it was sort of like pancake mix. But better. It was the mix for some kind of waffle thing...and it was SO SO GOOD. It was thick and sweet and YUMMY. Probably added an extra kilo to my thighs just in one swallow but it was worth it :)
Then Carly and I went for a walk with Brigette, Carly's host mum. The views were amazing of course. Very relaxing and refreshing :) Brigette told us some things about France and her life etc. And we came across a heard of sheep!
That afternoon we went to Beatrice's house for tea with Min, the new Australian and her host mother. It was very nice. We spoke in French and English equally and talked about the experience of coming to France blah blah blah. It's interesting seeing Min, and how little she can speak French in comparison to us. It's hard to believe that was us not too long ago and it is an eye-opener to how far we've come. Although it sounds awful to say this like we're satisfied by her suffering, it is rewarding when something shows us how much progress we have made in French because otherwise, we only ever think of what we can't say, and not what we can.
So overall the weekend was great :)
Until next post...
No comments:
Post a Comment